Monday, September 7, 2009

What are the main beliefs about teaching and learning a foreign language I think I am comitted with in my teaching practice?

I have learned a lot by practicing and interacting with my students throughout their process of learning and acquiring a new language. One of the most important things I have figured out is that grammar is the base for an accurate communication. At first, I tried to stick my practice just to "communicative" games and activities, but due to the lack of structures my students had, it was such a difficult task for them to perform well, and sometimes they got very confused and frustrated about some activities. So I started to change a little bit my methodology by giving them some basic structures they could use when performing their roles, so they just had to use the vocabulary we were learning and the structures. In that way they were more motivated to speak and participate in class and to perform other activities which require more complex structures.So I consider grammar as an important part in the process, it helps increase the motivation of the students by giving them confidence to take the challenge to speak. And it is also very rewarding to see your students are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment